Innocence Project New Orleans (IPNO)
IPNO frees innocent people sentenced to life in prison and those serving unjust sentences. We recognize the root causes of wrongful convictions and unjust sentences as systemic racism and inequities. We work to expose and address these root causes by sharing our clients’ stories in court, the legislature, the community and the media. We support our clients living well and fully in the world after their release.
Found in 2001, IPNO has freed or exonerated 59 individuals from all across Louisiana. IPNO developed and teaches the first Wrongful Conviction Clinic at LSU Law School, built and is continually expanding the Louisiana Law Enforcement Accountability Database (https://llead.co/) to promote transparency and accountability, and advocates for sensible law and policy changes to make our criminal legal system more just and fair.
About the Position
The Office Administrator is responsible for performing a wide range of clerical, administrative and operational tasks to support the daily operations of IPNO. The Office Administrator will also interact with clients and their families, and provide administrative backup to the Client Services Division. The Office Administrator ensures that attorneys, investigators, client services advocates, social workers and others have the clerical support and materials they need to effectively perform their responsibilities.
- Welcome office visitors
- Answer front desk phone and route messages
- Monitor and route general IPNO email account
- Provide comprehensive clerical support such as, but not limited to, sorting mail, assembling mailings, scanning, copying, data entry, binding documents, filing pleading in court, indexing and organizing case files, and organizing storage facilities
- Order, inventory and organize office supplies, including kitchen and bathroom supplies
- Inventory computers, printers, scanners, copiers, telephones, and other office technology, and maintain their good working order
- Order, inventory and ship IPNO merchandise
- Work with IT contractor to troubleshoot computer, internet, server and other IT issues, and upgrade equipment and software as needed
- Oversee all vendor contracts including, but not limited to, copier lease, office cleaning, external storage facility and lawn/outdoor space care
- Coordinate and manage building maintenance and repairs for the office and IPNO’s transitional home
- Liaison with insurance broker to ensure IPNO insurance needs are fully met and up-to-date
- Provide support for meetings, events, retreats, conferences, and the anniversary gala
- Organize staff gatherings to celebrate birthdays, work anniversaries, holiday parties, happy hours and other occasions
- Assist with travel arrangements for clients and staff as needed
- Upkeep regular maintenance of the IPNO car
- Ensure all shared spaces (i.e. kitchen, conference room, etc.) are tidy and organized
- Undertake discrete projects under the direction of the Executive Director and the Development Director, such as job postings and intern and new staff orientation
** IPNO is a small nonprofit legal office where so, in addition to their primary duties, the Office Administrator will be expected to assist as necessary with other aspects of IPNO’s work. IPNO is a client-focused office where teamwork and collaboration to ensure IPNO’s overall effectiveness and success are expected and valued.
- Experience: Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), email and calendar management, Dropbox, Google Workspace, Zoom, Slack, and basic office equipment. Familiarity with donor and/or case management software, databases, or other relevant tools is a plus.
- Problem-Solving: Proactive and resourceful approach to identifying and resolving administrative, clerical and operational challenges and developing alternative solutions. Ability to exercise good judgment, discretion, and confidentiality in handling sensitive information.
- Interpersonal: Ability to work effectively with racially and culturally diverse groups of people, including staff, clients and their families, students, volunteers, interns, board members, donors, supporters and community members. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
- Organizational Skills: Proven ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, prioritize workloads, and meet deadlines. Strong attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate records and files.
- Communication: Strong written and verbal skills. Able to draft and edit office policies, documents, reports, and correspondence.
- Passion for Non-profit Work: Understanding and appreciation of mission and values of the organization.
- Driver’s License
Helpful but Not Required:
- Personal vehicle (for which IPNO fully reimburses work-related mileage)
- Interest and/or experience in criminal and social justice work or space
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree
Salary and Benefits
The salary range is $40,000 – $44,000, commensurate with experience. IPNO offers a highly competitive and generous benefits package, including medical/dental/vision, five weeks of paid vacation, Federal holidays, 401k match, and cell phone reimbursement. IPNO provides a work environment that encourages health and self-care. IPNO is a family and pet friendly workplace.
How to Apply
Start Date: Immediate. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please e-mail a cover letter, a resume, and three references to email@example.com. Please include the job title in the e-mail subject line. Please do not call. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
IPNO is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse work force reflective of the diverse communities we serve and support, with regard to race, culture, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, prior record of arrest or conviction, citizenship status, caregiver status. IPNO works to advance racial justice and equity. We value diverse experiences, including with regard to educational background and legal system contact, and depend on a diverse staff to carry out our mission.